Thursday, April 25, 2013

Top 5 - Lipsticks

Part 2 of my Top 5 series is lipsticks. Lipsticks are probably the most fun product to shop for as there is so much variety, and you can really have fun with colour. However, my favourites always end up being pretty safe choices. 

l to r: Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Airy Fairy, Dior Addict Lipstick #583 Backstage, Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine #54 Boy, Too Faced La Creme Lipstick in Spice Spice Baby

As you can see, these are all fairly conservative choices that can be worn with a variety of eye looks, and in any situation. I can reach for any of these colours without worrying about looking inappropriate, or like I'm overly made-up.

You might have seen my post on Rimmel's Airy Fairy here. It is a fairly nude shade, but with pinky-mauve undertones, it is very flattering. I usually stay away from true nudes that are more towards the concealer-lip look as I find it does not suit me at all. Airy Fairy looks great alone, but even better with a gloss layered over it.

Dior's Backstage is the lipstick that I bought for my wedding. It is a sheer berry that is so pretty. The formula is so moisturizing and easy to wear. I just love this lipstick. I posted a picture of it on my lips in this post.

Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum is actually a fairly deep shade on my lips. With a couple of swipes, the shade could easily be worn for evening. But of course, one swipe is definately appropriate for day. I bought this because I read somewhere that this colour is very similar to MAC's Syrup. I don't own Syrup, so I cannot say how close they are, but I do love the Revlon Lip Butter formula for an everyday lipstick.

Chanel's Boy is an extremely popular shade. I'd been hearing about it forever before I actually picked myself up a tube of it. I got it in a duty free shop when travelling as I love to treat myself to a high end makeup purchase when I'm in international airports. I really don't think the prices are actually any better than at home, but it's just a fun treat. Boy is a "my lips but better" shade for sure. It is very sheer and on my lips, it looks very natural. It is somthing that I can apply with any makeup look and it just always works. 

I just posted a review on Too Faced La Creme lipsticks here. While I love both of the colours I purchased, Spice Spice Baby is the one that I reach for more often and will likely be something I repurchase when I run out. It is a gorgeous, wearable, everyday colour and the formula is moisturizing and extremely comfortable to wear. I just love it.

top to bottom: Too Faced La Creme Lipstick in Spice Spice
Baby, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine #54 Boy, Revlon Lip
Butter in Sugar Plum, Dior Addict Lipstick #583 Backstage,
Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Airy Fairy

I have actually purchased a couple of new lipsticks recently that I'm really loving, but I have not had them long enough to be considered favourites. It will be interesting to revisit my top choices in the future to see how they change!

What are your current favourite lipsticks?

See my Top 5 - Blushes post here.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. You feature some gorgeous products on your blog :D I love the look of Chanel's Boy! Stunning colour, and the packaging is to die for xx
    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And thanks for reading! Yes, anything from Chanel is a definite luxury, I especially love their lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely choices! Those swatches look great.

    ReplyDelete